McMaster Museum of Art FAQ videos
- We made them using software from Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere Pro.
- Used animations and some video footage of museum staff, sound effects, voice; created entirely in-house with help of summer student and Communications Officer. These videos can be found on the museum’s blog as well as YouTube.
- Museum in England where school vids made video for rules (teacher is the actor who brome the rules). On our FB.
- Some online sites (historic house museum in new york city) had a contract where people had to sign.
- Environmental programs: ministry of natural resources. Look up species.
- Doubtful if teachers read or use any pre-visit materials. Have to question how much museum employee effort to put in to these materials if they are little used.
- Pre/post visit packages: Homer Watson developing this year.
- without express permission, get back of heads, just hands.
- Summer camps, direct to parents, a bit easier. But still don't put photos on Facebook.
- Idea: can use employees' kids.
- Photo sign offs for high school program. Some without just noted. Ended up getting many photos, and they can be used far into the future.
- survey. Not much response.
- Follow up email with hope you have a good time, thanks. Personal contact maybe more effective than survey.
- Can create a quiz for teachers to take home with them after program and use in classroom.
- Pre-visit orientation research shows learning outcomes better for groups who were told about schedule for the day first.
- Hypothesis is that kids were more relaxed because they knew what was happening.
- Kids take in more with activities to fill in along the way?
- Ask questions while waiting at end of day: what was your favourite thing today? Informal way of getting feedback and reinforcing positive learning from the trip.
- Schoolwork on field trip: should coordinate with teacher so kids take the work seriously.
- Try to keep it short: kids aren't going to write out paragraphs.
- Feedback: tried with a qr code, didn't help. Try with incentive of itunes card. See if that gets feedback.
- Wifi in space: many people ask for it.
- Facebook's “out”. Twitter and Instagram are the more popular of social media sites. AskFM is popular, but very easily devolves into a bullying avenue.
- Twitter ideas:
- Taxidermy animals (a mascot for a museum) has it's own twitter feed.
- Natural History of Museum on uk had jar of mould with twitter feed.
- Top 5 reasons to follow museum mascots on social media
- Tweets from dead Prime Ministers.
- Tweets/retweets for prizes.
Paint club: everyone gets materials, painting is described, booze, get to go home with original artwork
Book Club: Linda Norris of Uncatalogued Museum